Mosquitoes are pesky, disease-carrying insects that suck the blood out of just about anything that moves. If only they could suck fat instead of blood then everyone probably wouldn't hate them so bad. The mosquitoes are horrible around Montana this year and causing people to be irritated everywhere. Many people are having allergic reactions to the bites and some are getting infections and ending up i the hospital. Below are 7 crazy mosquito facts that are very interesting.
1. Mosquitoes are slow fliers: The average flight speed is 1-1.5 miles per hour. Butterflies and honeybees would dominate mosquitoes in a flying race.
2. Their wings beat 300-600 times PER SECOND: This explains the annoying buzzing sound you hear before a mosquito lands on you an bites.
3. Mosquitoes are the deadliest animals on Earth: They may carry any number of deadly diseases, including malaria and yellow fever. West Nile is dangerous for horses and they also can carry heart worm which can be lethal to your dog. More deaths are associated with mosquitoes than any other animal on the planet.
4. Only female Mosquitoes bite humans and animals: The males feed on flower nectar. The female needs protein for their eggs and must have blood in order to reproduce. Males will avoid humans and animals and straight for flowers instead.
5. An adult mosquito may live 5-6 months: Few actually make it that long because we are constantly slapping at them.
6. Mosquitoes can detect carbon dioxide from 75 feet away: Carbon dioxide is the signal to mosquitoes that potential blood is close by. Once a female senses the Carbon Dioxide, she flies back and forth through the carbon dioxide fog until she finds her victim.
7. All mosquitoes require water to breed: Just a few inches of water is all it takes for a
female to deposit her eggs. Tiny larva develop very quickly in stagnant water.
These little buggers are so irritating and also very dangerous so we want to eliminate them around our environment as much as possible. An important tip to help reduce the population around your property is to look for ANY stagnant water and make sure it is dumped out. Look at bird baths, roof gutters, old tires and buckets. Actually look for any possible thing that could hold water and dump it. Remember they require water to breed.
Our team doesn't want you to get eaten alive while outside so we have several solutions to help you and your family make your summer more enjoyable.